Apply Now for Iowa’s LIHEAP Utility Bill Assistance: Ensure Warmth and Comfort

As winter settles in Iowa, the Iowa Utilities Board (IUB) urges residents facing financial challenges to seek assistance for their utility bills through the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP). Act promptly before the annual winter service moratorium begins on November 1st, ensuring your warmth and comfort during the colder months.

LIHEAP Assistance in Iowa

In Iowa, the winter moratorium law prevents utility providers from disconnecting home heating services—electricity or natural gas—from November 1st to April 30th, the period when LIHEAP assistance is available. If your household includes someone aged 60 or older, a person with a disability, or you are experiencing a crisis, you are eligible for LIHEAP funds. Contact your local community action agency to apply for LIHEAP and explore other available assistance programs.

Stay Protected During Winter

The Iowa law protects LIHEAP participants from electric and gas utility disconnection between November 1st and April 1st. To maintain protection, IUB advises participants to stay current on their energy bills throughout the winter, preventing the accumulation of debt and potential service disconnection after April 1st. If you face difficulties or need resolution with your utility providers, file a formal complaint with IUB Customer Service at 877-565-4450 or via email.

Eligibility and Application Process

To qualify for LIHEAP, your total household income must be at or below 200% of the 2022 federal poverty guidelines. Household sizes and corresponding annual gross income limits are outlined below:

LIHEAP Federal Poverty Guidelines for Iowa:

  • 1: $27,180
  • 2: $36,620
  • 3: $46,060
  • 4: $55,500
  • 5: $64,940
  • 6: $74,380
  • 7: $83,820
  • 8: $93,260

For households with more than eight members, add $9,440 annually for each additional member. All income will be annualized based on a 30-day period, counting back 30 calendar days from the day before the date of application.

To apply, demonstrate a low income level, responsibility for household heating or cooling expenses, and U.S. citizenship or legal residency. Provide supporting documents such as income statements, utility bills, and identification. Ensure you meet these requirements to receive crucial assistance with your energy bills. Find your nearest local community action agency by visiting the official website and selecting your county on the map.

You may be interested: